SALINA – Salina USD 305 has issued a statement in response to the order issued by Kansas Governor Laura Kelly to close all Kansas schools for the remainder of the school year.
The full statement is as follows:
“Today Governor Kelly announced the closure of Kansas Schools as we know them. When USD 305 reopens, instruction won’t look the same. District staff will use guidelines provided by a statewide committee of Kansas teachers to develop a new learning model for Salina students.
- Students who attend Salina Public Schools will not have class March 23 – March 27.
- During that time our teachers will develop new ways of instruction to be used for the remainder of the school year.
- By March 30, our plan for instruction will be shared with parents and the school community.
- Once the Kansas State Department of Education has approved our plan, instruction will resume.
- Students will not be coming back to full-day, whole-class instruction.
- Outside of limited instructional opportunities, all school activities and events in our buildings will be canceled through May 31.
What is certain is that USD 305 students will have the opportunity to continue learning. Different strategies and approaches will be in place across the state, and what that looks like in Salina will be decided as our committed staff work through recommendations and the resources needed.
Salina Public Schools will continue to communicate through parent notifications, our website (USD305.com), local media outlets and on social media.”