Food safety and lodging inspections are unannounced, and inspection results represent only those conditions found in the establishment at the time of the inspection.
Disclosure: Please remember that any inspection is a ‘snapshot’ of the day and time of the inspection. An inspection conducted on any given day may not be representative of the overall, long-term cleanliness of an establishment. Also, at the time of the inspection, violations are recorded, but are often corrected on site prior to the inspector leaving the establishment.
Ell-Saline Elementary School, 1757 N. Halstead Rd. (November 13) Routine Inspection
– No violations.
Ell-Saline High School, 414 E. Anderson St. – Brookville (November 13) Routine Inspection
– No violations.
Kansas Wesleyan Dining Services, 100 E. Claflin Ave. (November 13) Routine Inspection
– In the ware washing area, a dishwasher touched soiled dishes and then sprayed her hands off at the basin with the spray nozzle without using soap. She then touched clean metal pans. Corrected on site: metal pans were placed to be washed. Observed by Inspector KDA 69.
– In the dining area, on the Italian food bar was a serving platter of deli sliced ham which was not stored under the sneeze guard. On the counter by the pizza station, the following items were not protected by a sneeze guard: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chow mein noodles and croutons. Corrected on site: plastic wrap was placed over the ham and the seeds, noodles and croutons were moved to the salad bar under the sneeze guard.
– In the dining area, there was a dining table that was on a wall directly behind the desert bar. The baked goods could be contaminated due to an open bar on the back side. There was no barrier between the exposed dessert bar and dining customers. Corrected on site: table was moved.
– In the walk-in cooler, an open container of feta cheese was dated for more than seven days. The date mark on the container said November 15 to October 22. The employee said the date should of been November 22. Corrected on site: container was correctly dated.
– The establishment uses time as control on: all cut leafy greens, pizza’s Italian sandwiches, pasta and sauce, hamburgers, deli meat and cheese ready to eat vegetables and salad dressing. Corrected on site: written procedure were written.
– Stored as clean on a shelf near the ice machines were three vegetable choppers with food debris on the cutting surfaces. Corrected on site: choppers were placed to be washed.
– In the kitchen, above the two compartment sink, a soap dispenser was installed above where food prep takes place. There is a hand washing sink next to the two compartment sink. Corrected on site: dispenser was removed.
– In the food prep area, the upper part of the ice deflector had black mold on it.
– In the food prep area, a bucket of sanitizing water was at 100 ppm Quaternary. Person in charge said the bucket was prepared around 10 a.m. Corrected on site: bucket was remade to 200 ppm Quaternary.
– In the kitchen, in the dessert prep area, the shelves in the cabinet on the south side had an accumulation of debris. Baking pans are stored on the shelf.
– In the dining area and in the kitchen, a haze was lingering in the air.
Opportunity Now, 219 S. 3rd St. (November 14) Routine Inspection
– No violations.
Salina Ambassador Hotel & Conference Center, 1616 W. Crawford St. (November 13) Follow Up Inspection
– No violations.
– Note: this was a courtesy and a follow up inspection by request. Inspected Rooms 116 and 218 as a follow up. Inspected Room 104 as a courtesy. All rooms have been treated by licensed pest control operator. No evidence of infestation in any of the rooms inspected. Can re-open all rooms.
Salina Central High School, 650 E. Crawford St. (November 15) Routine Inspection
– Red hose attached to a splitter after the back flow device was under constant pressure and hanging below the flood rim of the one vat sink in the ware washing room Corrected on site: raised hose above flood rim.
– Sewer gas odor coming from drain below north cold well #1 and #2.
Sleep Inn & Suites, 3932 S. 9th St. (November 13) Modified Complaint Inspection
– Emergency light next to Room 324 not working.
– Not notified within 12 hours of mold in guest rooms.
– Note: Rooms inspected:102, 104, 111, 113, 115, 210,212, 305, and 307.
Southeast of Saline, 5056 K-4 Highway – Gypsum (November 15) Routine Inspection
– Individual cartons of white and chocolate milk range from 48 to 51 degrees F inside grade school back room milk cooler, which had a temperature of 52 degrees F for an unknown amount of time. Corrected on site: voluntary destruction.
– Zip type bag of cooked pork inside walk-in cooler was not date marked, per cook from Tuesday, November 13. Corrected on site: dated November 13 to November 19.
– Single use eating utensils stored jumbled in dispensing basket on tables in the grade school dining room. Corrected on site: arranged utensils so handles are upwards for dispensing.
– The sneeze guard on the grade school self service bar was cracked and taped.
– Floors in high school and grade school food areas were in ill repair; gouging in high school floor and grade school flooring duct taped by south serving line, making floor not easily cleanable or properly sealed.
St. John’s Military School, 110 W. Otis Ave. (November 14) Routine Inspection
– Open package of canadian bacon dated October 29 and open package of genoa salami labeled keep refrigerated dated October 25. Corrected on site: voluntary destruction.
– U-120 Crawl Kill Plus EPA Reg No 10088-92-46113 EPA EST 10088 W1-1 inside cabinet under west pop fountain machine. Corrected on site: removed from cabinet to office to give to maintenance.
Subway #12540-14, 1014 E. Crawford St. (November 14) Complaint Inspection
– Two boxes of laser printer ink stored on top of case of single use cups. Corrected on site: moved ink to chemical storage shelf.
Subway #33512-161, 2230B N. 9th St. (November 13) Routine Inspection
-Milk had temperatures of 47 to 54 degrees F inside self service coca-cola reach-in cooler, which had temperature of 45 degrees F. Per person in charge, stocked on November 9. Corrected on site: voluntary destruction.
– Case of oven cleaner stored touching case of single use souffle lids on back storage shelf. No leakage. Corrected on site: moved souffle lids to top shelf with other food items.
Subway #678-5, 676 Westport Blvd. (November 13) Routine Inspection
– No thermometer inside green door lo-boy reach-in cooler.