Second Wichita Man Captured in Salina Pleads Guilty in Newton Robbery

WICHITA – A second defendant captured in Salina pleaded guilty today to an armed robbery at a convenience store in Newton, Stephen McAllister said.

Rico Montes, 28, Wichita, pleaded guilty to one count of robbery. In his plea, Montes admitted he and co-defendant Jorge Correa, 25, Wichita, robbed the EZ Trip at 100 S. Main in Newton while another man waited in the car. Montes and Correa were armed when they entered the store.

After the robbery, surveillance footage was used to identify a license tag number of a dark-colored Honda the suspects fled in. Kansas Highway Patrol Troopers later located the Honda on Interstate 135 near Salina and a high speed pursuit began. The pursuit ended with the vehicle crashing on Magnolia Road near Salina South High School. Two suspects were immediately taken into custody at the scene. A third suspect fled on foot from the scene. He was located about 45 minutes later and taken into custody.

Urias told authorities in an interview that Montes and Correa had asked him to stop at the convenience store “so they could get something,” according to an arrest affidavit. In the interview, he admitted to fleeing when the highway patrol tried to pull over the car.

Montes is set for sentencing December 16. He could face a penalty of up to 20 years in federal prison and a fine up to $250,000.

Correa pleaded guilty last week and is set for sentencing December 8. He admitted firing several shots during the robbery. No one was injured. A third defendant, Jeremiah Urias, 18, Wichita, who is alleged to have driven the getaway car, is set for a change of plea hearing October 13.

McAllister commended the FBI, the Kansas Highway Patrol, the Newton Police Department and Assistant U.S. Attorney Alan Metzger for their work on the case.

Advertisement