SALINE COUNTY – The Saline County Board of County Commissioners met on Tuesday, November 17. Here are the highlights from the meeting:
- Commissioners are holding a special public meeting on Friday, November 20 at 3 p.m. to discuss the COVID-19 situation in Saline County and potential consideration for additional restrictions. This meeting will be held in Room 107 at the City/County Building, 300 W. Ash.
- Commissioners were provided an update from Loralee Tibbetts, Deputy Health Department Director, on the mask mandate and the COVID-19 situation in Saline County. Tibbetts reported 504 new cases in the last 2 weeks. The presentation was concluded with the recommendation to continue the mask order. The County Resolution on the mask mandate is in effect until it is rescinded by the Commission. No action was taken.
- Commissioners signed a resolution that will impose a one-half percent retail county-wide sales tax to begin on April 1, 2021 after voters of Saline County approved the special question on the General Election ballot to build a new jail and Sheriff’s Office. The resolution and certified election results need to be forwarded to the State no later than 90 days before the sales tax is to be implemented.
- Also as part of the next steps on the Jail project was the Commissioners approval for TreanorHL and Turner Construction to now move forward with post-bond services for design and construction of the facility. Phil Smith-Hanes provided an update to the Commission that if a site can be secured in the next few months then the design of the facility can be complete by the summer of 2021 and construction to be bid out in the fall with facility completion by 2023.
- Marilyn Leamer, Human Resources Director presented three requests for action for the Commissioners for the County’s Medical and Dental Plans. The renewal for 2021 resulted in no increase for employees or the County. An amendment to the Health Plan also includes continued access to telemedicine. Commissioners approved all three requests and signed appropriate agreements.
- Department updates were presented from Human Resources and the Livestock & Expo Center.
- The Commissioners adjourned their regular meeting and after a short recess, re-convened as the Board of Canvassers to complete the election certification process. Commissioners heard staff reports from Jamie Doss, County Clerk, and voted to certify the votes cast at the General Election. Certified election results can be found on the County website by clicking or tapping here.
The full agenda for next Tuesday’s meeting, November 24 will be released later this week and available on the County website: www.saline.org. All County Commission meetings begin at 9 a.m. on Tuesdays.
As the transition is made back to regular operations, and continuing to maintain social distancing to prevent the spread of COVID-19, please be advised that there is limited public seating for County Commission meetings, and citizens are required to follow the City of Salina’s mask ordinance. County Commission meetings can be viewed on Access TV, either via Cox Cable Channel 20 or online at SalinaTV.org.