SALINA – Congratulations to eight 12th grade students from USD 305 that have been recognized for their literacy in more than one language by the Kansas State Department of Education. Graduates received a “Seal of Biliteracy” certificate and the recognition has been added to their high school transcripts.
“USD 305 proudly celebrates these students’ accomplishments”, stated Linn Exline, Superintendent of Schools. “The Seal of Biliteracy signifies that these students have mastered reading, writing, speaking and listening in two or more languages. This level of proficiency is the result of hours of language study and a strong commitment to learning.”
This spring, qualifying USD 305 students took the language proficiency assessment. They had to demonstrate language abilities in video chats, wikis and other tasks. The result was that USD 305 students received eight certificates in English and Spanish or English and French.
Graduates who received the Silver Seal of Biliteracy are as follows:
Salina High School South
- Pedro Camacho-Romero – English and Spanish
- Ernesto Martinez – English and Spanish
Salina High School Central
- Malcolm Berkley – English and French
- Andrea Flores – English and Spanish
- Gael Garcia – English and Spanish
- Jesus Jasso – English and Spanish
- Hannah Jones – English and French
- Melissa Ramirez – English and Spanish