Summer meals kick off and ribbon cutting will be held at Heusner Elementary School, 1300 Norton, on Thursday, June 1 at 11:55 a.m. Children will be able to create artwork to decorate the summer meal sites and visit with a Shriner’s clown.
The free summer meal program begins Tuesday, May 30 through Friday, July 21. All locations, except St. John’s Missionary Baptist Church, will serve a free summer lunch from 12 to 12:30 p.m. St. John’s will serve lunches 11:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., June 12 through July 21. No meals will be served on Tuesday, July 4. Breakfast will be served only at the Cottonwood and Lakewood Middle School sites from 7:45 to 8:15 a.m. May 30 through June 30.
The Free Summer Meal serving sites are:
- Cottonwood Elementary – 215 S Phillips, east side entrance
- Heusner Elementary – 1300 Norton, north doors by art room
- Oakdale Elementary – 811 E. Iron, north door to new gym/shelter
- Schilling Elementary – 3121 Canterbury, side door by gym
- Sunset Elementary – 1510 W. Republic, south door to cafeteria
- Heartland Early Education – 700 Jupiter, north double doors off Venus
- St. John’s Missionary Baptist Church – 215 S. Chicago, gym door entrance
- Lakewood Middle School – 1135 Lakewood Circle, main entrance by office
- Church of the Cross – 1600 Rush, southeast door
- Salvation Army – 1137 N. Santa Fe, front door
The free lunches are for all children ages one through eighteen and adults are welcome to eat for $3.75. Breakfast price for adults is $2.00. There are no income requirements, fee or registration required to receive meals. This program is an equal opportunity provider.
The Salina Summer Meals Coalition is committed to summer meal programs in Salina. Partners include USD 305, Heartland Programs, the Salvation Army, St. John’s Missionary Baptist Church, Sunrise Presbyterian Church, and Salina Area United Way, providing hot meals at ten sites for eight weeks during June and July.
Each year, the U.S. Department of Agriculture partners with local organizations to provide free meals to children when school is out for the summer. For more information about the national Summer Food Service Program, visit www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/summer.